Think of a criticism that you have about society today. It could be something that is happening right now, and/or something that you foresee getting worse instead of better over time.
Design a dystopian society that warns audiences about and critiques your chosen social problem. Focus on 4-5, because more than that will dilute your examination of the issue, but you should consider how everything will “work” together to form a society in your mind’s eye.
• Family Structure
• Social Divisions and Inequities (class, race, gender, etc)
• Religion and Spirituality
• Transportation and Mobility
• Recreation and Health
• Media and Information
• Science and Technology
• Justice System (policing, courts, prisons)
Answer these responses to the following prompts in paragraph form:
• Explain why you chose this aspect of society; what’s your problem with it?
• Describe the setting of your dystopia (overall atmosphere, plus key locations).
• Describe the protagonist(s) and antagonist(s). Who are the key players? What are their conflicts with one another?
• Describe the type(s) of control those in power exert over the citizens (including what happens when they break the rules).
• How do you envision things ending? (does your protagonist “save the world”, or are they overcome by the system? etc)
• Which 2-3 major themes or big questions will you explore? (ie. how far people are willing to go to survive, how love conquers all, how love *doesn’t* conquer all, etc)